Frequently Asked Questions
1. Will I be able to meet and network other conference participants?
Yes. There will be an opportunity for conference participants to network with each other both prior to and during the conference.
2. What tech requirements do I need to attend the conference?
Once accepted, we will provide you with a conference Zoom link and you may participate from your laptop/desktop. If you are not a frequent Zoom user or you will be using a different device than normal you may want to perform a test. In addition, for pre-conference communications with the Conference team and other participants, we will use email and Slack.
3. When will the final program and schedule be available?
A general preliminary program is available here. We plan to share with selected participants the final conference program and schedule including the panels and speakers details at least one month prior to the conference.
4. What format do the sessions take?
The conference convenes a variety of program formats including keynote speeches, panels and policy competition. We invite high-level speakers to keynotes and panels, and there will be time for Q&A for each session. For the policy competition, participants will present their policy recommendation at the conference before judges, and the prizes will be given to top 3 teams.
5. Will the sessions be recorded?
We will livestream keynote speeches on Day 1, but for other programs during the conference, we will kindly ask participants not to record the content.
6. What is the theme of the STEAR Conference 2021?
The theme of this year's conference is "The Future of Asia-Europe Relations in the Post Covid-19 World." Please find the more detailed program information here.
7. When and how will the conference take place?
The conference will take place on November 6 and 7 from approximately 9am to 3pm in London time each day (hours may be adjusted slightly based on the number of total sessions - find the detailed program here). All sessions will be conducted via Zoom.
8. Do I have to be present at all sessions during the conference?
Yes. You are expected to attend all sessions during the conference in addition to three pre-conference workshops on September 18, October 2, and October 16.
9. What is the participation cost?
All conference programs including pre-conference and post-conference activities are free.
10. When do I expect to hear back with the result?
All applicants are hearing back from us by September 12th.
11. Who is eligible to apply to the conference?
We are accepting applications from students and young professionals from around the world (18-30 years old). Although the conference addresses issues concerning Asia-Europe relations, we are not limiting participants by any specific geographical area. Anyone interested in Asia-Europe relations is welcome to apply!
12. When is the application deadline?
The application deadline is August 31st at 11:59pm London time.
13. I am in the final year of high school (18 years old). Can I still apply to the conference?
Yes, we consider the Conference as an opportunity to widen youths' horizons in different aspects. As long as you are passionate and looking forward to cultivating your interest in Asia-Europe relations, you are welcome to apply!
14. What is the official language of the conference?
As all communications with the STEAR team and conference programs will be conducted in English, fluency in written and oral English is required.
15. Can I update my application after submission?
You cannot update your application after submission unless for exceptional technical issues, if such a problem happens, reach us at email@example.com.
16. How will the conference accommodate my time zone?
Our program is adjusted to time differences for European and Asia-based participants. Please look at the program for further information.
17. I don't have that much experience in the field of Europe-Asia relations. Can I still apply?
Yes, we encourage everyone who is highly motivated to apply for the conference!
18. How should I do if I need to withdraw prior to the Conference due to personal circumstances?
As soon as you know that you will not be able to attend the conference, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
19. I don't have stable internet connection. Would I be able to receive internet subsidy?
Unfortunately no. We cannot provide internet subsidy to any participants.
20. The conference content seems great, will there be any summaries after the conference? I would like to review them for my own learning.
Please keep an eye out for our website and social media for conference recaps and post-conference info!
Do you have any other questions? Then don't hesitate to contact us here!